January 2005 Chemistry Regents #21-30
Highlight to reveal answers and explanations
Other Regents Exams
21 Which pair of compounds are isomers?
(1) NO2 and N2O4
(2) P2O5 and P4O10
(3) HCOOH and CH3COOH
(4) CH3OCH3 and C2H5OH
|4||Organic (carbon) same formula different structure|
|22 Which organic compound is unsaturated?
(1) 2-methylbutane (3) 2-hexanol
(2) 2-chloropropane (4) 2-pentene
|4||Unsaturated= Alkynes or alkenes|
|23 Which change in oxidation number indicates oxidation?
(1) –1 to +2 (3) +2 to –3
(2) –1 to –2 (4) +3 to +2
|1||oxidation number increases
1 goes up
the other 3 go down
|24 Given the redox reaction:
Cr3+ + Al-->Cr + Al3+
As the reaction takes place, there is a transfer of
(1) electrons from Al to Cr3+
(2) electrons from Cr3+ to Al
(3) protons from Al to Cr3+
(4) protons from Cr3+ to Al
|1||electrons lose to gain
oxidation to reduction or
USE TABLE J--> TOP TO BOTTOM
|25 The compound HNO3 can be described as an
(1) Arrhenius acid and an electrolyte
(2) Arrhenius acid and a nonelectrolyte
(3) Arrhenius base and an electrolyte
(4) Arrhenius base and a nonelectrolyte
|1||H+ acid and electrolytes|
|26 According to Reference Table M, what is the color of
the indicator methyl orange in a solution that has a pH of 2?
(1) blue (3) orange
(2) yellow (4) red
|4||Look at Table M|
|27 Given the reaction:
NH3 + HCl --> NH4Cl
In this reaction, ammonia molecules (NH3) act as a base because they
(1) accept hydrogen ions (H+)
(2) accept hydroxide ions (OH-)
(3) donate hydrogen ions (H+)
(4) donate hydroxide ions (OH-)
|1||Bronsted Lowry Acid base Theory|
|29 Which statement best describes gamma radiation?
(1) It has a mass of 1 and a charge of 1.
(2) It has a mass of 0 and a charge of –1.
(3) It has a mass of 0 and a charge of 0.
(4) It has a mass of 4 and a charge of +2.
|30 Which change takes place in a nuclear fusion reaction?
(1) Matter is converted to energy.
(2) Energy is converted to matter.
(3) Ionic bonds are converted to covalent bonds.
(4) Covalent bonds are converted to ionic bonds.
|1||NUCLEAR energy comes from mass|
|Back to Regents Exams|