Density- The proportion of mass to volume of an object.
Density determines what floats and what sinks. More dense sinks less dense will float.
Density of Coke vs. Diet Coke
So how dense is Mercury?
The amount of an object does not change the density.
Which is more dense 1 gold coin or 1 gold brick? Answer the have the same density, they are both gold. The proportion of mass to volume will remain the same.
The density (d) of a material is its mass (m) divided by its volume (V).
Example 1-Solving for Density
Calculate the density of an object that has a mass of 25.0g and the volume is 10.5ml.
Example 2-Solving for mass
Calculate the mass of an object that has a density of 8.92 g/ml and the volume is 5.25 ml.
V= d x m
V= 8.92 g/ml x 5.25 ml
Example 3-Solving for Volume
Calculate the volume of a sphere that has a mass of 21.0g and the density is 12.0g/ml.
Highlight Box to Reveal The Remaining Answers
1. Calculate the density for the following object. If you know that the object has a mass of
20. grams and the volume is 10. ml.
2. Calculate the volume for the following object If you know that the object has a mass of
21.0 grams and the density is 6.0 g/ml.
21.0g /(6.0g/ml)= 3.5 ml
3. Calculate the mass for the following object. If you know that the object has a density of
20.0 g/ml and the volume is 5.00 ml.
20.0 g/ml x 5.00 ml=100.g
4. Calculate the density of a liquid in a beaker. The beaker has a mass of 15 grams when empty. The beaker plus an unknown liquid has a mass of
50. grams. What is the density of the liquid if its volume is 10. mL?
50.g-15g/ 10.ml= 3.5 g/ml
5. Calculate the density of a piece of metal. The rectangular piece of solid metal has the dimensions of 2.0 cm, 3.0 cm, and 2.0 cm. The unidentified metal has a mass of