June 2005 Chemistry Regents #21-30
Highlight to reveal answers and explanations
Back to Regents Exams
|21 Which element has atoms that can bond with each other
to form long chains or rings?
(1) carbon (3) oxygen
(2) nitrogen (4) fluorine
|1||standard organic chemistry question
carbon does this
|22 Which formula represents an unsaturated hydrocarbon?
(1) C2H6 (3) C5H8
(2) C3H8 (4) C6H14
|3||not an alkane, so not CnH2n+2|
|2||double bond is an alkene ends with -ene|
|24 What is the oxidation state of nitrogen in NaNO2?
(1) +1 (3) +3
(2) +2 (4) +4
O = -2 -2
so N= +3 they have to add up to zero
|25 The three isomers of pentane have different
(1) formula masses
(2) molecular formulas
(3) empirical formulas
(4) structural formulas
|4||isomers same formula different structures|
|26 Where does oxidation occur in an electrochemical cell?
(1) at the cathode in both an electrolytic cell and a voltaic cell
(2) at the cathode in an electrolytic cell and at the anode in a voltaic cell
(3) at the anode in both an electrolytic cell and a voltaic cell
(4) at the anode in an electrolytic cell and at the cathode in a voltaic cell
Anode Oxidation in either cell
|27 Which formula represents an electrolyte?
(1) CH3OCH3 (3) CH3COOH
(2) CH3OH (4) C2H5CHO
|3||Acids Bases or salts
3 organic acid
|28 When an Arrhenius acid dissolves in water, the
only positive ion in the solution is
(1) H+ (3) Na+
(2) Li+ (4) K+
|1||Acid==> H+ sometimes they throw H3O+|
|29 What is the half-life and decay mode of Rn-222?
(1) 1.91 days and alpha decay
(2) 1.91 days and beta decay
(3) 3.82 days and alpha decay
(4) 3.82 days and beta decay
|3||See Table N|
|2||Transmutation- change in element|
|Back to Regents Exams|