June 2015 Chemistry Regents #21-25
Highlight to reveal answers and explanations
Other Regents Exams
21 Which element has atoms that can bond with each other to form ring, chain, and network structures?
(1) aluminum (3) carbon
(2) calcium (4) argon
|3||basics of organic chemistry|
22 What is the number of electrons shared in the multiple carbon-carbon bond in one molecule of 1-pentyne?
(1) 6 (3) 3
(2) 2 (4) 8
|1||-YNE...a triple bond|
3 pairs of electrons or 6 electrons
23 Butanal, butanone, and diethyl ether have different properties because the molecules of each compound differ in their
(1) numbers of carbon atoms
(2) numbers of oxygen atoms
(3) types of functional groups
(4) types of radioactive isotopes
carbons are the same, so are the number of oxygen
different functional groups
24 What occurs when a magnesium atom becomes a magnesium ion?
(1) Electrons are gained and the oxidation number increases.
(2) Electrons are gained and the oxidation number decreases.
(3) Electrons are lost and the oxidation number increases.
(4) Electrons are lost and the oxidation number decreases.
|3||metals lose electrons and oxidation numbers turn positive|
25 Energy is required to produce a chemical change during
(1) chromatography (3) boiling
(2) electrolysis (4) melting
|2||electrolysis-only chemical change|
|Back to Regents Exams|