January 2009 Chemistry Regents #21-30
Highlight to reveal answers and explanations
Other Regents Exams
21 Which element is present in every organic
(1) carbon (3) nitrogen
(2) fluorine (4) oxygen
|22 Given the balanced equation representing a
2Fe + 3Cu2+ ==>2Fe3+ + 3Cu
When the iron atoms lose six moles of electrons, how many moles of electrons are gained by the copper ions?
(1) 12 moles (3) 3 moles
(2) 2 moles (4) 6 moles
|4||conservation of charge|
|23 Which statement describes electrolysis?
(1) Chemical energy is used to produce an electrical change.
(2) Chemical energy is used to produce a thermal change.
(3) Electrical energy is used to produce a chemical change.
(4) Thermal energy is used to produce a chemical change
|3||electrolysis requires a power source to make a reaction occur|
|24 During which process does an atom gain one or
(1) transmutation (3) oxidation
(2) reduction (4) neutralization
|25 Which substance is an Arrhenius base?
(1) CH3OH (3) LiOH
(2) CH3Cl (4) LiCl
|26 Which statement describes an alternate theory
of acids and bases?
(1) Acids and bases are both H+ acceptors.
(2) Acids and bases are both H+ donors.
(3) Acids are H+ acceptors, and bases are H+ donors.
(4) Acids are H+ donors, and bases are H+ acceptors.
|4||Acids donate H+ bases accept them|
|27 Which two compounds are electrolytes?
(1) C6H12O6 and CH3CH2OH
(2) C6H12O6 and HCl
(3) NaOH and HCl
(4) NaOH and CH3CH2OH
|3||acids bases or salts (ionic)|
|28 The only positive ion found in H2SO4(aq) is the
(1) ammonium ion (3) hydroxide ion
(2) hydronium ion (4) sulfate ion
|2||H+ or H3O+ (hydronium)|
|29 Which risk is associated with using nuclear
fission to produce energy in a power plant?
(1) depletion of hydrocarbons
(2) depletion of atmospheric oxygen
(3) exposure of workers to radiation
(4) exposure of workers to sulfur dioxide
|3||radiation is BAD for us|
|30 An unstable nucleus loses the most mass if the
(1) an alpha particle (3) a positron
(2) a beta particle (4) a gamma ray
|1||alpha is the largest|
|Back to Regents Exams|