January 2010 Chemistry Regents #41-50
Highlight to reveal answers and explanations
Other Regents Exams
41 What occurs when a 35-gram aluminum cube at
100.°C is placed in 90. grams of water at 25°C in
an insulated cup?
(1) Heat is transferred from the aluminum to the water, and the temperature of the water decreases.
(2) Heat is transferred from the aluminum to the water, and the temperature of the water increases.
(3) Heat is transferred from the water to the aluminum, and the temperature of the water decreases.
(4) Heat is transferred from the water to the aluminum, and the temperature of the water increases.
|2||Link||Heat flows from hot to cold|
|42 Which temperature is equal to 120. K?
(1) -153°C (3) +293°C
(2) -120.°C (4) +393°C
|43 A rigid cylinder contains a sample of gas at STP.
What is the pressure of this gas after the sample
is heated to 410 K?
(1) 1.0 atm (3) 0.67 atm
(2) 0.50 atm (4) 1.5 atm
|44 Given the balanced equation representing a
C6H4Cl2(s) + energy==>C6H4Cl2(g)
Which statement describes this change?
(1) It is endothermic, and entropy decreases.
(2) It is endothermic, and entropy increases.
(3) It is exothermic, and entropy decreases.
(4) It is exothermic, and entropy increases.
|2||LinkA||endothermic energy is on the left
S--> G increase in entropy
|45 In a biochemical reaction, an enzyme acts as a
catalyst, causing the
(1) activation energy of the reaction to decrease
(2) potential energy of the reactants to decrease
(3) kinetic energy of the reactants to increase
(4) heat of reaction to increase
|1||Link||catalyst lowers activation energy|
|47 Butanal and butanone have different chemical
and physical properties primarily because of
differences in their
(1) functional groups
(2) molecular masses
(3) molecular formulas
(4) number of carbon atoms per molecule
|1||LinkA||aldehydes and ketones have different functional groups|
|48 Which salt is produced when sulfuric acid and
calcium hydroxide react completely?
(1) CaH2 (3) CaS
(2) CaO (4) CaSO4
|49 Which radioisotope is used to treat thyroid
(1) Co-60 (3) C-14
(2) I-131 (4) U-238
|2||Link||thyroid = iodine|
|4||Link||Use Table S Higher to lower, or Zn
to Ni, lose to gain
through the wire
|Back to Regents Exams|